Contemporary forms of healthcare facilities funding in Ukraine in the context of the healthcare reform
The ongoing implementation of systemic changes in healthcare in Ukraine provided by the Concept of the Healthcare System Funding Reform launched in 2017 stipulates the pivotal transformation of the healthcare funding principles. In our opinion, the systemic work towards the sector’s reforming and improvement of its financial mechanism based on the best practices of the developed countries and new management technology can bring domestic healthcare and medical organizations funded in the framework of the Territorial Guarantees Program to the new level of efficiency. The paper aims to outline the features of new rules of the healthcare facilities funding in Ukraine under the healthcare reform. The advantages of the new funding principle for medical science are identified. Alternative financing options for medical institutions that have been registered in the form of public utility companies but have not yet been contracted with the National Health Service of Ukraine are identified. Possible financing options applied within the framework of the budgetary legislation under the healthcare reform are analyzed. The complex of actions for the realization of funding from the local budget within the framework of a program-target method (according to the budget program) is considered. The directions of funding are determined based on the concluded agreement on public health services. The budget funding is revealed to provide: equal access to public healthcare; the possibility of optimizing the healthcare system on a national scale; relatively simple technology for funding and remuneration in this area. The main purpose of the healthcare reform is identified as addressing major health problems, such as poor quality and efficiency of healthcare services, inefficient spending of budgetary resources and, as a consequence, catastrophic healthcare costs for households. The paper suggests to develop and implement a healthcare funding system that addresses the citizens' needs. The feasibility of combining different funding sources to greatly improve both the financing of medicine and the quality of services is emphasized.
2. Karp’yak, M. O. & Popadynets, N. M. (2017). Otsinka funktsionuvannya sfery okhorony zdorov'ya v Ukrayini v konteksti yevro-intehratsiyi [Assessment of health sector functioning in Ukraine in the context of European integration]. Visnyk Sums’koho natsional’noho ahrarnoho universytetu – Bulletin of Sumy National Agrarian University, 8(77), 122-129 [in Ukrainian]
3. Shevchuk, V. V. (2016). Udosklnalennya derzhavnoho rehulyuvannya innovatsiynoho rozvytku systemy okhorony zdorov’’ya v Ukrayini [Improvement of state regulation of innovative development of health care system in Ukraine]. Retrieved from https://chmnu.edu.ua/wp-content/uploads/2016/04 [in Ukrainian].
4. Dub, A. R. (2018). Transformatsiya mekhanizmu finansuvannya okhorony zdorov’’ya: vyklyky dlya ob’’yednanykh terytori-al’nykh hromad [Transforming the Health Financing Facility: Challenges for United Territorial Communities]. Rehional’na ekonomika – Regional economy, 1, 76-83. [in Ukrainian].
5. Rozvytok sotsial’noyi sfery terytorial’nykh hromad v umovakh administratyvno-finansovoyi detsentralizatsiyi [Development of social sphere of territorial communities in the conditions of administrative-financial decentralization] (2018). Lviv: Dolishniy Institute of Regional Research of NAS of Ukraine. [in Ukrainian].
6. Global Competitiveness Index 2017-2018 Rankings (2018). World Economic Forum: Website. Retrieved from http://www3.weforum.org/docs/GCR2017-2018/05FullReport
7. Soboleva, I. V. (2007). Chelovecheskiy potentsial rossiyskoy ekonomiki: problemy sokhraneniya i razvitiya [The human poten-tial of the Russian economy: problems of conservation and development]. M.: Science. [in Russian].
8. Karpyshyn, N. I. (2006). Finansove zabezpechennya okhorony zdorov’’ya v realizatsiyi derzhavnykh funktsiy na rynku medychnykh posluh [Financial support for health care in the exercise of state functions in the market of medical services]. Ph.D. in Econ. Dissertation, TSEU, Ternopil, Ukraine. Retrieved from http://dspace.tneu.edu.ua/handle/316497/895 [in Ukrainian].
9. Dyversyfikatsiya dzherel finansuvannya okhorony zdorov’’ya [Diversification of sources of health financing] (2019, Jun 18). Na-tional Institute for Strategic Studies: Website. Retrieved from https://niss.gov.ua/doslidzhennya/socialna-politika/diversifikaciya-dzherel-finansuvannya-okhoroni-zdorovya [in Ukrainian].
10. Pro derzhavnu dopomohu sub’’yektam hospodaryuvannya [On state aid to business entities] (2014). Law of Ukraine, adopt-ed on 2014, Jul 01, 1555-18. Legislation of Ukraine: Website. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1555-18 [in Ukraini-an].