Competitiveness analysis of agricultural complexes of Ukraine and Poland
In modern economic conditions, the success of national economy depends on the consistent management actions of its leaders and on the effective development of its separate enterprise subjects. Each country chooses its own economic sphere in which it can achieve the highest results. Such area for Ukraine is the market for agricultural products. Not the first year Ukraine is one of the world leading exporters of wheat, barley, corn, oats, rye, and oilseeds. Fertile lands and temperate climate give to the agrarian enterprises strong competitive advantages. Therefore, it is so important to help to realize the potential of the Ukrainian agrarian enterprises.
Poland has similar features of the territory and climate. Poland made huge races in economy development since association and EU membership. Therefore, comparison with the Polish agrarian complex is relevant for the analysis of competitiveness of the Ukrainian agrarian enterprises.
The main indicators of the agrarian sectors of Ukraine and Poland were analyzed in the article. Such indicators as agricultural land in absolute and relative terms, agriculture, forestry, and fishing value added were selected. In addition, the number of agricultural workers and their salaries in local currencies and in terms of euros, the dynamics of prices for major agricultural products and the structure of export-import of agricultural products were considered. Based on the analysis, the main features of the Ukrainian agrarian complex and its development trends were highlighted.
The agricultural sector plays a more significant role in the economy of Ukraine than Poland. Although now the indicators of the agrarian sector in Poland are significantly higher (taking into account the value added, the level of salaries and so on). Ukrainian producers have significant potential considering the natural features of the country.
The association with the EU opens up significant prospects for Ukrainian agrarian enterprises. The support from the government and the desire of the agrarians themselves to use them are only needed. The study will be the beginning for the analysis of the competitiveness of Ukrainian agricultural enterprises.
2. AgroPortal (2019). Agrarians are asked to increase euroquats for tomato paste almost 4 times. Retrieved from http://agroportal.ua/news/ukraina/agrarii-prosyat-uvelichit-evrokvoty-na-tomatnuyu-pastu-pochti-v-4-raza/.
3. Burachek, I., & Mykhailenko, N. (2018). Modern condition and perspective directions of agricultural development in Ukraine. Global and National Problems of Economy, 21, 134-137. Retrieved from http://global-national.in.ua/archive/21-2018/27.pdf.
4. Danko, Yu. (2016). Innovative Approaches to Ensuring the Competitiveness of Small Agricultural Enterprises. The problems of economy,(3), 153-158. Retrieved from http://www.problecon.com/export_pdf/problems-of-economy-2016-3_0-pages-153_158.pdf.
5. Korchun, V. (2013). Agricultural policy in Poland and Ukraine: Using of the polish experience in European integration of Ukraine. Scientific Bulletin of the Lesia Ukrainka Eastern European National University,(10), 172-180.
6. Kovalchuk, S. (2016). European orientiri of agrarian sphere of Ukraine: Prospects and possibilities. Economy and Society,(2), 54-60. Retrieved from http://economyandsociety.in.ua/eng/journal-2/9-articles-2/39-kovalchuk-s-ya.
7. Livingstone, E. (2019). Chicken Kiev baron on course for big EU trade win. Retrieved from https://www.politico.eu/article/yuriy-kosyuk-ukraine-chicken-kiev-baron-on-course-for-big-eu-trade-win/.
8. Minfin. (2018). NBU rate - euro (EUR). Retrieved from https://minfin.com.ua/ua/currency/nbu/eur/2018-12-03/2018-12-28/.
9. Narodowy Bank Polski. (2018). Middle exchange rates archive. Retrieved from https://www.nbp.pl/homen.aspx?navid=archen&c=/ascx/TabArchAen.ascx&n=18a170en.
10. Official site of the State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Retrieved from http://ukrstat.gov.ua/.
11. Official site of the State Statistics Service of Poland. Retrieved from https://stat.gov.pl/.
12. Proposition. (2019). Year 2018: New record and new challenges. Retrieved from https://propozitsiya.com/ua/rik-2018-y-novyy-rekord-i-novi-problemy.
13. Rijswick, C. (2018). World Vegetable Map 2018: More than Just a Local Affair. Retrieved from https://research.rabobank.com/far/en/sectors/regional-food-agri/world_vegetable_map_2018.html.
14. Salkova, I., Glovyuk, A., & Oleksiienko, О. (2016). Measures To Ensure The Development Of Agriculture Of Ukraine In Terms Of European Integration. Agrosvit,(9), 45-50. Retrieved from http://www.agrosvit.info/?op=1&z=2177&i=8.
15. The Press Service of the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade (2019). Stepan Kubiv in Luxembourg met with Romain Schneider, Minister of Social Policy, Agriculture, Winemaking and Land Development. Retrieved from https://bit.ly/2Fvjl8i.
16. The World Bank. (n.d.). Agricultural land (sq. km). Retrieved from https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/AG.LND.AGRI.K2.
17. The World Bank. (n.d.). Agricultural land (% of land area). Retrieved from https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/AG.LND.AGRI.ZS.
18. The World Bank. (n.d.). Agriculture, forestry, and fishing, value added per worker (constant 2010 US$). Retrieved from https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NV.AGR.EMPL.KD.
19. The World Bank. (n.d.). Agriculture, forestry, and fishing, value added (% of GDP). Retrieved from https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NV.AGR.TOTL.ZS.
20. The World Bank. (n.d.). Cereal yield (kg per hectare). Retrieved from https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/AG.YLD.CREL.KG.
21. The World Bank. (n.d.). Land under cereal production (hectares). Retrieved from https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/AG.LND.CREL.HA.
22. Tsybulskaia, S. (2017). Master-class on development of export direction of agro enterprises. Retrieved from https://propozitsiya.com/ua/master-klass-iz-rozvitku-eksportnogo-napryamku-agropidpriiemstv.
23. United States Department of Agriculture (2019). Grain: World Markets and Trade. Retrieved from https://apps.fas.usda.gov/psdonline/circulars/grain.pdf.
24. United States Department of Agriculture (2019). Oilseeds: World Markets and Trade. Retrieved from https://apps.fas.usda.gov/psdonline/circulars/oilseeds.pdf.
25. Zakharchuk, O. (2015). Experience of agricultural development in Poland. The Economy of Agro-Industrial Complex, (10), 59-65. Retrieved from http://eapk.org.ua/en/contents/2015/10/59.
26. Zinchuk, T. (2016). Agri-Food Potential of Cooperation between Ukraine and Poland. Zeszyty Naukowe Uczelni Vistula, 47(2), 285-300. Retrieved from http://cejsh.icm.edu.pl/cejsh/element/bwmeta1.element.desklight-514a6eb5-3d3e-4e18-add5-d9dfb4e12267.